Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mini Quilts



I was in a mini quilt swap. We were partnered with a participant and allowed to share color preference. I favor BLACK & so did my partner Kathy from California. I received the one she made me and I love it! Bow-ties with a tux front, complete with tucks in the shirt, tiny buttons and a RED satin cummerbund. Her workmanship is excellent. I didn't get pics of the back but I will post when I do....she has done a cool thing to give it rigidity for hanging...really CLEVER.



I came across this in my STUFF. My son Michael goes to college an hour away and for his birthday freshman year I made this fabric postcard and mailed it to him so he would get mail on his birthday! I used recycled felted sweater wool for the base and needle-felted the little cupcake with candle and #'s and letters. You can't really tell in the picture but there is the non-fusible Angelina fibers on the cupcake. Needle-felting is like painting with roving & wool yarns. FUN. But you must pay attention every second or you WILL poke that gnarly barbed needle into your finger....and it hurts...for days.

I have been working on Carolyn's Mermaid CQ block. I stitched the outline for waves to seperate the sea & sky. Thinking of how to fill it now. Crests on waves are more white than blue. I could bead it or use a combination of french knots & split stitch or all three. I also added a full MOON. I have this great vintage coat from Sally Anne's. I washed it and it didn't really felt so not sure what fiber it is, but it's cool. I beaded a bit over it to add a little sparkle in the sky.

Also finished working on Thearica's pig CQ RR block. I can't show you a picture of it since it is a SECRET until they are all returned to the originator.

Projects for this weekend & near future:

  1. Mermaid ~waves~
  2. Eyelets & tie closure on cuff
  3. COF FQ challenge (????????)
  4. COF T-shirt "name" tag
  5. baby quilt with birth info for Aliegh (actually have a pieced pink string block quilt I can use)
  6. April Journal page
  7. Carve a stamp
  8. Son's football jersey quilt
  9. Knit more sweater

Today I learned:

  1. My un-beloved Jeep Liberty needs brakes all around. Ugh.
  2. I better learn to love wearing my orange hardhat and highly reflective vest...required DOT road wear. Ugh.
  3. My tooth aches. 6 Motrins and counting today.

No comments: