Friday, February 19, 2010

Thread Painted Robin

I belong to a Yahoo group called LearningFA or Learning Fiber Arts. Shirley is a very talented woman and she is sharing her knowledge of thread painting in a class. I just finished my Robin! We learned to use the free motion zig-zag to do him. I began by printing her pattern out onto fabric, comes in a package at Joann's, and lightly glued (glue stick) in place to Timtex. Then have at it! Shirley provided instructions on color placement but encourages her students to use their judgement also. I really like the little guy!

My friend Tammy is in the grop too and she was was lucky enough to have signed into a small (15 people) group that will concentrate on art quilting. I believe their first challenge is "Hidden Treasure". Interpreted any way they want. Cool!

Tomorrow is quilt guild day, always a highlight. I have asked 4 talented woman to demo something. We have Martha showing us how to do the facing thing on art quilts or small pieces; Mary Ellen will clue us in on the technique she used to make her spiral challenge piece; Melanie will do some free motion quilting and Dodie has insight to share using that new Texture Magic. I am excited!

Ian & Darcy have been here since Tuesday night. I forget how busy 11 & 12 year olds are! They have been great. Back to mom today when we all meet for a fish fry at Buffalo Brew Pub!

I have learned:

  1. This woman is the man! Check this blog out for really great idea's using things from the hardware store.  I truly love her design wall options.

2 comments:

JodyC said...

LOVE your Robin, you are amazing!! I need to come take sewing/quilting lessons from you.

Yes, "This woman is the man!" Cool idea for a design board.

Enjoy your weekend and stay warm.

Tennye said...

I am so excited about your cuff being published in the magazine, and I love your robin. I am in the class but I have not had the time to get started on it. I need to be able to print and my computer does not have the drivers for the printer. I am working on it thought.