Today Fiberista's met at the very nice Gate's Library. We had a nice room, free of charge, to have our meeting and sew. Frances was in charge of the January activity. She had us take a good look at our decorative stitches on our machines. While I was not very interested in creating a stitch book, I was inspired by Frances' demo. She used the buttonhole stitch, laying row against row. Wow! It was so cool! I threaded up a charcoal gray thread, slipped a piece of canvas under the needle and had at it. I am to thrilled with the result. By simply changing the length and width as I stitched, I came up with this bit of "fabric".
My workroom is coming along. I have a bit more to do before a reveal. So happy with it though. I foresee many hours spent in there. I am seeking small area rugs. I have four in there now. The cold floor will be a patchwork of carpet....perfect.
I am still trying to ward off a sickness. My chest is rattly each morning....not feeling 100%. Tired. Could attribute to the frigid temps and older age. Hope the upswing starts soon.
I have involved myself in many an HGTV project for 2014. Need to get back to my people and fun. I have a few things in the works.
1. Redwork Snowman quilt BOM. I am stitching in cream on oatmeal linen's, with brown to beige fabrics for the sewn blocks.
2. CQ challenge. We each get the same fabrics/embellishments to create a 12" block.
3. UFO challenge. Each month we are assigned a number quilt to work on. We all made out a list of 6 UFO's. This month is #3. That means I have to complete my guild's RRRR that I ran last year. ok!
4. UGLY fabric challenge. Thearica buys what she thinks is ugly fabric, sends each participant a half yard cut to make anything they want. I knew I'd love the UGLY fabric!!
Feels good to be back with my old pals online. I have actually met most of these women at retreats. Good people. Fun.
And of course my guild's annual challenge is due in a couple weeks! The "That Was Then" challenge. Make a piece depicting anything from the year you were born. Anything! 1961 was a good year. I best get a move on with that one! Have a plan and played with some images....now I need to get it together.
I have learned:
- Shared this videohttp://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/6218 on FB, of the "It's Raining Cats & Dogs" exhibit at Houston International show. My dog quilt, "Live Free" is closer to the end. My friend Julie Brandon's quilt is nearer the beginning. Nice to have a visual.
- Sophia just called me. How nice it is to hear her little 3 1/2 year old voice on the phone. I think she was looking for consolation....she had just thrown a tantrum in Target....uh oh, 'Issa was mad!
- "White Collar" is my newest binge watching fest on Netflix. Like.
- My friend, Janet, sent my these instructions for easy Flying Geese. What would be easy is if both squares were the same size.....like I did....which is NOT right...that would have been easy!
- 2014. 6 new weeks of vacation. 13 minus 2 days of Holiday's. (took Thursday and Friday off this week....my 2 floater holidays) It's just not enough time.
- Mela's eyes are the color of blueberries.