Saturday, January 18, 2014

Annual Challenge for Guild..."That Was Then"

                                                                            J.F.K.
My guild's annual challenge was "That Was Then", the year of your birth. This was plan "B". Plan "A" was to use a x-stitch pattern of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly. I  made over 100 1/4" hexi's before I started to make some units of the pattern. Well, a x-stitch pattern is linear.....hexi's are not! I will do something with them for sure though.
So plan "B"....Kennedy. He was inaugurated in January, 1961. His speech is a part of history. My grandmother, Katherine, loved the Kennedy's.(we are Irish Catholics, which resonated with her) I remember her reading every book that came out about that family. It left an impression on me at a very young age. First time I heard the word "Camelot".
Found some images online of John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy....used Befunky.com to manipulate them into pop art (popular at that time)...printed them with my cheap Kodak printer onto Jacquard cotton fabric printer sheets....sewed together....machine quilted...hand stitched and faced. Happy with the result.
Why. Why. Why do we wait til the last minute (8:33 AM today) to wrap up a challenge that we have known about since last February??
The quilts will be judged, but also voted on by our fellow guild members AND viewers choice as they hang in the library the entire month of February.
My fav is Cynda's!
I love her work. She is a re user. An innovator. Her pieces always reflect who she is.
This is her guild challenge.
It is the story of the day she was born in Niagara Falls, NY, in a blizzard. It's wonderful. I look at this and know something about her.It is a true work of art. It is a spectacular scarf. Apropos for the weather that day of course!

Tuesday I was notified along with many other quilters that my "Ice Crystals" quilt has been juried into the AQS Lancaster PA quilt show! I am pleased. This piece is one of my favorites. I truly enjoyed every step in the making of this quilt. A road trip is planned with good friends!
Click here to see post from last year!

Tomorrow I will work on my guild UFO RRRR. I have signed up on HGTV message board to finish a UFO for the next six months. This is my first assignment! The rows are made and sewn together...needs a 1/2" snot-green gold border, then a 4" border of my focus fabric. I must complete this quilt by the end of the month! Quilted. Bound. Labelled. Determined!

Mela will be 6  months old on the 27th. She is such a contented, active little sweetheart! After union meeting Friday, I went to Melissa's for gramma night. We played. Before I left for home, I fed her a bottle and put her to bed. I love her much. She is so precious. So sweet. So adorable.

I have learned:


  1. My laptop took a dive this week  Not sure what is up but the default system was on my desktop and my icons were gone. My IT friend, Jody, has given me very specific instructions to try to get things on track again. I need a very clear, well rested mind to follow them. 
  2. Tom Hardy. I know I mentioned him before. Checking out where else to find him on film. 
  3. 2 years and 4 weeks til retirement! 
  4. Bruce released a new CD this week. I love him. 
  5. Sherlock. Excellent. 
  6. Jenn & Michael are 11 weeks PG! The zygote is officially an embryo!








1 comment:

tisme said...

That is awesome about your quilt in Lancaster! Let me know when you are going to be there, I do that show every year, spend a night shop!