Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ice Crystals Quilt Finished (accept for the finishing)

"Ice Crystals" is almost finished! I just need to sew the sleeve on and make a label and of course, de-cat hair it. It is 40" x 30". I have Julie Brandon print the image for me month's ago. The image was taken on my Blackberry a couple of years ago in Middlebury, on a cross country walk at work.
This is a similar image taken at the same time, just a different composition. I played with it in Photoshop or BeFunky, can't remember which one, to make it more colorful. Sent the image to Julie/Red-Dog Enterprises to be printed on sateen cotton.
I had to machine quilt first. Knowing I wanted to make the ice crystals more prominent, I free motion quilted around them.
I acquired 2 yards of Mary Lee's snow/ice dyed fabric at our guild's silent auction in October, not knowing that I needed it for this piece! The next day I realized it coordinated with it perfectly! I hit on the idea of 1/2" hexi's from the dyed fabric, sewn into units and fused to the top. I constructed a design wall and pinned over 300 hexi's to the quilt, sewed the units together by hand, fused them each with Misty Fuse and stitched a triangle with silk thread at every point of every hexi. I loved every step creating this piece. I would surely do the same process again.


It will be in a show titled "Winter's End" at The Lower Mill Gallery in Honeoye, NY. Feb 28th is a reception. All quilts in show will be for sale. Please consider visiting the show throughout the month of March.
There are over 300 1/2" hexagon's on this quilt, all lovingly placed!

I have been working on a Cathy Wiggins pattern, called Olivia's Horse, for Barb, my friend at work that just retired Thursday.
She fulfilled a lifelong dream of owning horses a few years ago. I bought the pattern in North Carolina, at the HGTV quilt retreat Thearica planned. We were able to meet and see Cathy Wiggins' trunk show. As soon as I saw this pattern, I had to buy it to make for Barb's big day. In true procrastinator fashion, I am this far!
It is a large pattern. the drawing you see is the pattern overlay on thin clear vinyl.

My little Etsy shop, PearlStreetVintage, has had a steady sales record over the last few weeks. I am having fun with it as well. Keep it bookmarked and check back often to see new listings!

Yesterday, my Fiberista group met. We were short on people it seemed. Being snowy, cold February, I just could not cart my machine to do the planned project. I worked on the discharged fabric I made with my hand carved stamp which was inspired by Linda Kemshall. The group was working on the three dimensional quilt project in the current Quilting Arts magazine. It involves using grommets and rods. Julie managed to get one assembled.

She bought brass rods from a toy train store, but old knitting needles, or skewers would work also.

Val had a square cut out in her background (underneath the hand dyed cheesecloth overlay). Look forward to seeing how this turns out.
I was not interested in the project in the magazine, but when I saw what was being created by the group, I find it intriguing.

My beloved, old coot cat, Chester died last Tuesday. He had been sick for almost 5 years. We thought for sure he would go before Dean (2 years ago, March 4th) but he just kept on ticking. I knew that morning it was time, made the call to the vet for an appointment after work. Left the house that morning after saying goodbye to him, asking him to die at home for me, so I wouldn't have to kill him. A friend checked on him in the morning....still breathing. By the afternoon he had passed in his bed in the bathroom. On a towel he favored. I came home to bury him in the yard, next to Dean. He was almost 18 years old. I have had him for the last 6 years, taking him from Bonnie at work. He was a cool cat. Michael loved his no bull catness. I miss him much.

I have learned:


  1. Michael was promoted to Corporal on Thursday. He is a man with a plan. It will be a year on February 7, that he was sworn in and left for boot camp. 
  2. Loved all episodes of Crossing Jordan on Netflix. Again, I will miss the characters of another show. 
  3. Snow dying two white cotton aprons I found at Sally Ann's for .99 cents each as I write this post. One is for me and one is for my sister, Noni. For years we have been saying we need aprons. Can't wait to see how they turn out!
  4. Darcy is 14!! As of yesterday. She is a  beautiful young woman. Proud of her.
  5. On cholesterol meds again. Hoping I don't develope any crippling joint issue this time. 273 needs to be dealt with. My weight also needs to be dealt with. 
  6. Philip Phillips new CD. Love. 

5 comments:

Suztats said...

So sorry to read about Chester passing on. Our fur family members leave a huge hole, and we are lost without their presence, for a time.
Your "Ice Crystals" is absolutely gorgeous!

Colleen Anderson said...

Kath...your Ice Crystals quilt is spectacular!! Great job!

Martha Lorshbaugh said...

So sorry about Chester. Been there, unfortunately. Strange how big a hole they leave....

Studio Emmy said...

Your Ice Crystals quilt is gorgeous!

The Nikkels said...

Beautiful quilt!! Sorry to hear about your kitty :( My kitties are like family, so I can empathize with you.