Monday, January 18, 2010

Cover for Mixed Media RR

Yesterday I spent all day working on this front and back covers for a mixed media book that will be travelling to 4 states in a Round Robin. Each person will do a couple of pages in the chosen theme interpreted in their own way. I don't really have a theme, but more a technique. Collage. Anything goes!
I painted canvas after tearing it to size, with acrylic paints. Then I pilfered some bits from stash...fabrics from a few Home Dec sampler books my friend Anne gave me provided alot of the fabrics. A zipper I found was sewn to the front because it looks interesting. Painted dryer sheets (green behind the vintage button and the stamped face); verbiage from selvage; a bead. The metal piece under the button is from an old sewing machine drawer..a decorative bit that would back a knob. The reddish bit under that is cut from a little needle felted pear I made as demo for some friends.
This will be the back cover. It dawned on my this morning that I had put my long side for the binding on the wrong side! NO problem though since it is collage-y..I will add one to the other side and all set to add grommets which will be how I gather my pages together.
Yes, that is a photo of me that I copied to fabric on the printer. I added black fabric corners and layered scrapbooking vellum sayings. The long black & white bar up top is a bead I bought at Michaels for 98 cents.
Inside the back cover I used a yellow shimmery sheer bag I got from the dollar store to make a pocket. It held pretty note cards.
It was so fun using "stuff".. That thrill of the hunt thing.
I will be preparing this for mailing by next week and expect I will be getting my first book then too. I can't wait to see what these girls come up with....really looking forward to this one.

I also find myself rethinking the Valentine project I have been working on for the Homemade Holiday swap. Not sure if it is something OJM would like. Hhmmm. I do have to decide asap.

I have learned:

  1. My cats love REAL dried catnip! Martha is their supplier. Thanks!
  2. My 47 yr old sister admits she is getting old after a fall at the hockey rink yesterday rattled her bones! And maybe her rotator cuff.
  3. "Pants on the Ground". You knew that was coming....
  4. No one wants to coach the Buffalo Bills. Really.
  5. Cute etsy site. She sells collage sheets that can be printed on fabric or paper.


No comments: