Friday, April 23, 2010

"Steps to the Garden"...Raffle Quilt for my Guild Finished!!


The raffle quilt is done!
Tracy & I have been working on this for about a year. We wanted to make it our own so we used the Cockscomb flower applique from the book Simple Blessing by Kim Diehl ( it is on the cover.) We rounded up our best applique ladies and they did a great job on them. We also liked the point on the next border so we kept that design element too. Courthouse Steps is a traditional though graphic block so it seemed a good contrast to the gentle flowers. We drafted a PPing pattern to fit on a piece of 8.5" x 11" piece of PP paper and held a little sewing session with some wonderful stitchers after a meeting one month. The final border was decided after laying out the quilt and it just clicked! The points are perfect and really frame the whole piece up.
Think tea/coffee with cream for the light background. "Muddy" greens, reds and tobacco-y browns round out the color pallet.
My friend Penny McDowell did the machine quilting. I wish you could see it...when I get it in my hands again I will get a close-up. She graciously donated her time at the longarm.
If you are interested in tickets for a chance at this cozy beauty, email me at kdeverett@live.com. $1.00 per chance! It will be awarded 3rd week in October. Thanks!

I have learned:
  1. Thanks to Martha I now know that 1 piece of graffiti is actually called graffito. Interesting.
  2. In Plain Sight on USA is a really good show. The episode that has the ATF guy waking up years later from a coma after being shot only to find his beloved GF has married his partner....great acting, good story...pretty emotional.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow..great job. This quilt is beautiful and I really like the layout you chose to use. Traditional with a twist.

Carol said...

A beautiful design and the colors look lovely.