Sunday, November 10, 2013

Michael's Sleeve.. his Deployment Art

,
Michael spent over 15 hours at an Elmwood Ave tattoo joint in Buffalo in July.  I don't have a pic to show what he came home with as a first draft on his arm, but I assure you it was BAD. Tommy, at MaddTat2, saved the day. Michael came up with the flag idea...Tommy made it war torn...Michael came up with the guardian Ange ideal....Tommy made it bad ass...Micheal came up with him as soldier...Tommy made it real. In the end Michael realized he would not have this work of art on his arm if he hadn't gone to the first place in Clarksville, TN. and had such a disconcerting outcome. This tattoo tells the story of his deployment to Afghanistan. The Apache helicopter is featured in the flag; the gargoyle is the face of evil with the angel watching over him, the soldier. He had a verse tattooed on the open area down his arm today. No pics yet.
Pretty cool.

I had Mela Friday night again! It is a joy to take care of her, a good little baby. Took her to my quilt show meeting then to Ian's 16th birthday lunch at Quaker Steak & Lube. Melissa & I were able to have a few hours of shopping time, ending with an excursion to Uncle Billy's Tuesday Morning store. She had never been. I love that store...and the family discount is appreciated. I picked up the large white cutting mat for $23!
Deal of the day.

The studio is coming along. I need to get the glossy trim paint now. What to do with the floor? Thinking. Loving it so far!

"Deployment" is on the floor in front of me. I have place a sample square with a red oil artist stick marking and a tangle of red thread under the soldier overlay. The oil stick stands out. I am leaning towards using that to denote the days that things happened on those days in Michael's deployment. This includes rocket fire, mortar fire, a flip down a mountain in a truck and rolling over and IED wire that didn't detonate.

I have learned:


  1. I like this song. "Royals" by Lorde. catchy tune.
  2. Michael graduated from Air Assault School Thursday. He has wings for his uniform.
  3. Something is afoot. Netflix is not streaming well, my laptop is super slow. ugh.
  4. Ian, my nephew is 16. He can learn to drive. OMG. 



No comments: