Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bra for a Cause 2010..."Rebirth"




This precious vintage buttlerfly was adorned with....
pretty little crystals. Adorning my....
Bra for a Cause 2010.
I picked up some faux hydrangea flowers and set to pulling the petals and leaves off the stem. I glued the leaves over the cups as a base....glued the petals over that and added crystals in the center of each for a little sparkle. The butterfly was a great buy at Sally Ann's a while back. It has been hanging on my fridge aka, design wall, just waiting for a perfect application. Pink satin ribbon replaces the straps. I like it!

Sneak peek at my next project for my art quilt group...Bakers Dozen, the online group of 13 women making art according to the current theme. "Beads, Baubles and Bangles". I am so glad we decided to do anything, not just a flat quilt! I have a vision, but you will have to wait til September 12 (I believe) to see what that is! Hope it keeps working out. If not, I have a plan B.

Tomorrow is another outing to Buffalo for the Elmwood Art Fest. They are calling for 90's! Should be a good time.

I volunteered to teach an art quilt class at the COF (Circle of Friends) HGTV messageboard quilt retreat in April. Of course I said yes having NO idea what I would be able to teach in 2 hours! Saying you are teaching an art quilt class is like saying you are teaching a quilt class.....generic, non discript,limitless opportunities. So I guess it's up to me to decide what art quilt will be for my class!
A technique that translates into an art quilt or becomes the base for other techniques seems the only answer. The time frame dictates what is possible. I really didn't want a sewing machine to be needed since many women are flying and not bringing a machine. SO fusible was the answer.
Most people want to leave a class with SOMETHING they can use SO I will take a hand dyed/painted FQ with discernible light and dark area's....
one outcome...
It is just laid out..no stitching. I did this (below) with the marbled fabrics from Sarah Terry. It served as a base for the quilt.
(Not a great picture)

I have learned:
  1. Dean, my 83 lb greyhound, stepped on my foot this morning....it hurt...bad. It is swollen now. I can't bend it. Same toe that a 2 liter of Pepsi broke over 20 years ago. 
  2. Ahhh. Pedicure. An hour of  bliss and pretty toes too!
  3. Mailed my UFO to Quilting Arts. It's the Blue IAQ. Will they or won't they use it for their new segment, Save My UFO! that gives real people advice on finishing a piece? Maybe that thing will be done yet!
  4. Mailed my Nancy Crow quilt to my friend in North Carlina for some custom quilting. Threarica is a talented long arm quilter that is up for the challenge. I included a quilting "map".Here's another look at it....
 

3 comments:

Thearica said...

Your quilt is here!!! I am going to have fun quilting this baby!! Thank you so much for the special surprises!! That beaded pig is way too darn cute! Did you make him yourself?

TJM wanna be quilt artist said...

I am loving your little squares so far? so are they fused down ? more info please...also the Bra is fantabulous!!!!!

moondrops71 said...

I own this bra! I was surpised to see it on here and know that I won it at the auction! I love it and it hangs in my office.... beautiful job!