Sunday, March 3, 2013

Yellow Lab Collage to Print on Fabric

I took a class with Julie Brandon, of Red-Dog Enterprises a few months ago. It was my introduction to the world of large format printing onto fabric~! We spent the first hour paging through magazines, cutting images that appealed to us, then making collages on playing cards. I loved this part. (I loved it so much, I made more at home after the class!) I came away with 3 collages, one of which was this lab piece.Julie scanned it into PC and we played with the image and manipulated it in Photoshop. The white  in the background didn't translate well when he was printed on a yard of cotton fabric, so I decided to cut him off the background and piece my own background of improvisational pieced stars using Marcia Derse fabrics. I love how her fabrics markings work with the yellow lab!
I am going to take Julie up on her offer to let me use her longarm and quilt him. I plan to put him into the Genesee Valley Quilt Club show at R.I.T. end of May, beginning of June.

Yesterday my Fiberista group met to have some fun with embossing powders, pearlescent powders and embossing onto velvet with stamps. Terryn led us in a demonstration and then we just had at it! I really loved the black embossing powder on fabric. I can see this as a useful tool on a piece in the near future.

These little bee's are so cool. I embossed them on a vintage linen napkin.
These stamps are Tim Holtz. Love.
I have been obsessed with hexi's for months now. I love making them. I love sewing them together. I found this dress from a fashion show. Cool!

I have learned:



  1. The RAFA opening at the Lower Gallery Mill in Honeoye was a success Thursday. I missed it as I was still sick and in bed by 7 PM. Dave, a co-worker, and his wife Tina, went. Tina sent me this pic of my piece hanging on the stone wall.
  2. Five days after starting amoxicillin for bronchitis, I woke up with hives on my neck and chest. Apparently I am allergic to penicillin's now. 
  3. On the Menu, my cow piece for Nature Behind Bars, won Curators Award. Thank you Val & Julie.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

I wish the picture were a little larger.......mine is next to yours....at the winter's end show at the Lower Mill Gallery!

Diane said...

Congratulations on receiving an award in the show!!! It's well deserved.

Diane said...

Congratulations on winning an award in the show!!!