Sunday, September 11, 2011

PC's and Thoughts on the Day.

As I was going through my box of PC's (Postcards) I came across my own samples that I sent out in swaps a few years ago. This is one of my favorites! The orange background is cotton velvet, with wall sticker butterfly wings from the dollar store, cool discounted upholstery fabric (the house), charms and Scrabble tiles I drilled with a teeny tiny bit and sewed down. I loved making these.
This one uses the same orange cotton velvet in a Halloween theme. Notice all the seed stitching, by hand, in the background. I needle felted the ghost image.
Needle felted flower with beads. The background is a felted wool sweater.

I haven't made a PC in a while. Michael's GF, Jen, asked for idea's for a presentation in her Master's class at Buff State. I thought a PC would make a great project. I really enjoyed going through all the PC's I received in past swaps. When I get them all back I will post some of my favorites. I have one from Ireland, Ukraine and Norway. I love seeing the PO stamps on the reverse side.

Michael started in his season opener at St John Fisher, last night! They won, 12-7, against Buffalo State, Melissa's Alma mater. Good game. Great night for a football game!

This day cannot go by without mentioning 9-11-01. It was an awful day. I was at work. While in the front office, talking with the girls, I could tell by the tone of the person talking on the muffled radio, that something was happening. I asked Bonnie to turn the radio up. That was just after 9 AM. At that time we thought it was a terrible accident. As I was getting my truck ready to leave for the day, my boss, Charlie, came out to the garage saying "What the hell is going on? The second Trade Center building has just been hit." We knew then it was no accident.
All day we listened to reports on our radio's...a live account of each tower as it fell....to the reports of a plane hitting the Pentagon and finally the crash of a suspected terror-led plane in Pennsylvania. At this time I did not have any visuals, That shock came later.
No planes flying above us as the ban on air travel enforced.
Reports of all that death.
My kids were 18 and 12. They had no idea how life changing this day would be. No one could know then, how this would impact every day, from then on.
I couldn't watch much of the footage. It was too disturbing. I didn't want Michael and Melissa to pick up on my grave concern,.
Recently, I clicked on a youtube video recording of that day.
People were in those towers. Firefighters were in those towers.
Some of whom can be seen jumping.
Then the buildings crumble, like a well orchestrated implode. Unbelievable. Truly.
Brought tears.
All those innocent lives.
All of our lives forever changed.
Ten years ago.
My mother died in November of 2002. I remember thinking, distinctly, that she was fortunate to NOT know what was coming. I really did.
My son, Michael, has enlisted in the US Army. He is a college graduate. He feels compelled to serve. I know the last ten years have played a roll in his decision. Subliminally.
Everything changed that day.
Destiny changed.
Some would believe not.... Armageddon and all.
I do offer a prayer for all families affected.
Not that it changes anything.
I wish for peace.
*******************************************************************
I have spent hours this week working on my altered book for the little RR with Jody, her mom, and Melissa. I  am working on a childhood memory theme. Hours literally flew by today as I played with paper and glue! I just love this mixed media of altered books. I will get pics when my covers and pages are complete. I am at almost stage right now!

My F8's (fat eighths) have been mailed to the other 17 participants of the HGTV block swap that Shey runs.
I have not done this before, but love the blocks made for it in the past. We all will make a 12.5" block using the F8 and fabrics from our stash. I have received 2 so far. I need to find some great blocks now.

My CQ challenge block, for Nicki's contest, is almost finished! I have a little more beading to do. I need to find the beads again! I hate when that happens! Pics due on the 22nd.

Also, I have been making progress on the little box challenge Colleen and I started 2 years ago! She finished and mailed mine to me a few weeks ago. I have vowed to not open the box until I have finished and mailed her piece to her. We acknowledged our similar style and exchanged bits with each other. We could do anything we wanted. I started her piece right away. Only recently have I picked it up again and competed the first step in the process.
I have more work to do!

I worked for days on these pages in Melissa's book. She had already torn the pages to form pockets, with the help of a couple of stitched lines, I made them a reality! I made many tags with ribbon and thread embellishments to tuck into the pockets. I used old game cards, stationary from dollar store, scrapbooking bits, and chipboard. I do not ever feel finished with these pages.

Great weekend!

I have learned:


  1. Suits on USA. Excellent show. Smart and amusing. OnDemand for now. 
  2. Gloria Vanderbilt is Anderson Coopers mother. 
  3. The Help is a very good movie in keeping with the book. Kathryne Stockett's childhood friend wrote the screenplay and directed. 
  4. Love Edward Burns' voice. Like his face too. Audio books?

1 comment:

Martha Lorshbaugh said...

Well stated reflections of 9/11.