Sunday, October 5, 2014

Jody's Altered Book


I have had jody's altered book for longer than I want to admit. I finally sat down this morning and finished it up! Feels good. On the left I thread sketched over vintage book pages and used water colors  on them. The right side is a bevy of tags stuck into pockets formed by tearing pages down and stitching the sides. Each tag has a sentiment....clarity, kindness, see magic, calm and hello. I truly love doing this mixed media work, it just makes such a mess.  You gather supplies, then think of something else and gather more!  I am hoping to get a couple of mine and Melissa's books back that are out there somewhere. The work put into these pages is very personal. Good fun. 

Yesterday Fiberistas met, just three of us, but what a grand day it was. Mary lead us in making books. Always intrigued by the process, I was excited to turn out four different pieces.  The first book we made signatures and added bits of cloth and papers in each section. Mary showed us how to make the holes and stitch a signature together, then how to weave a spine to make the book whole. Having time left to play I made another smaller book with the gorgeous cotton paper mary shared with us and vintage  scrapbook papers I had on hand. 
We also made two types of folded books from paper, that are perfect for a bit of embellishing and journaling. Loved every minute of our day together. 

Today I am not getting out of pajamas. I already made homemade sauce and roasted peppers. Now to sew the sleeve onto Japanese Coins and Nancy Crow quilt. I'll watch the Bills game, take a hot bath and read my book. I need my Sunday's to regroup and be homey. 

I have learned:  

1.  Mary recommended "Night Circus", by Erin Morgenstern, to me. Promises to be a good read. Has that ethereal element I love so much in Alice Hoffman's stories. 
2.  15 months 10 days to retirement 
3.  Melissa's baby boy is growing in gestation! She likes Eli this week. 
4.  Maddi smiles!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mom and I read Night Circus for book club. It's a good read. You will like it. Don't over think it. Just kick back and enjoy!