Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Sunday, July 26, 2009
I started on "BELIEVE" in my loved french knots for Lynn's CQ RR block. It will prove to be a little challenge since all around the area is beading and buttons and trims that my thread is catching on!
Sorry about this image...don't know what happened...looked clear when I downloaded it! It is a tracing from a book I have on Crazy Quilting. I used chain stitch to do swirly wings and body and satin for head. It's a burgundy metallic thread.
This flower is made from deconstructed silk flowers and beads.
I need to finish up my 1 block swap for Melinda and mail tomorrow. I am waiting for a little bird I made from air dry clay to dry after I painted it blue this afternoon. He will go on the block area where the tree is. I have loved doing this block for someone I know and truly like. I am excited for her to see it next Saturday.
I successfully put all the things that trouble me out of my mind for 7 days. Of course now I must do some figuring....money always seems to be the crux of stress. On paper things look like they should work out but in reality...nope!
So a tornado actually touched down approximately 8 miles down the road as I was driving home yesterday. My daughter and her fiance, Cory, recorded the funnel forming in the sky. Local news interviewed him and showed his video on the news. Creepy. It did some structural damage, and knocked down electric poles. Apparently gas leaks were reported. Will find out tomorrow if it was new ones caused by the tornado damage or if they were existing leaks. I am expecting to have to do some follow up leak investigating.
I have decided to once again join Weight Watcher's to rid myself of 20-25 pounds. I did it before, I will do it again. I do hate to spend the money on this since it seems like something I should be able to do on my own.....but I cannot. I need the weigh-in once a week. It's like a game...I don't like to record any gains once I start to lose. SO, here's to one more time!!
So I learned a few things:
- How to play flip-cup.
- How to play Mancala.
- E-F1 tornado's categorized by 80-110 mph wind.
- I am over-extended creatively. I have committed myself to many RR's, swaps, raffle quilt obligation, art quilts, program responsibilities for guild, upcoming workshops. I will get through them all but must limit myself in the future. In the past it wasn't an issue but work takes so much more out of me now that I find my spare time shortened up by fatigue.
Friday, July 17, 2009
Monday, July 13, 2009
This is the entire, uncut heart block. I added texture with the ribbon yarn couched and tacked. I love using machine quilting threads, especially the multi-colored ones. I have also used the shiny rayon machine embroidery threads. I spread the blue/green thread around the block, using it in the feather stitch, tiny french knots and lazy daisy stitch alternating with the silk ribbon. The last bit to finish yet is in the upper right...I have begun to free hand stitch swirly's to connect the lazy daisy flowers.
I made this dragonfly by cutting 2 petals off of a silk flower and using silk ribbon to added dimension while also tacking the wings down. Using the same ribbon I stitched his body and head. Quick bug!
I didn't get everything on my list done.
I weeded..... I ended up weed whacking....... I CQ'd on the ANGEL block....I did stitch the star and added pretty beading to it..... I didn't discharge any fabric....did not look for an image to share with my art quilt friends....and didn't get the Grandfather block out of the box. Not bad!
I learned today:
- I love Boca veggie burgers. ( I knew this before, but want YOU to learn it today!)
- The new boss seems like a good young man. Good.
- Found World Without End online for under $8.00
Friday, July 10, 2009
- Weed front gardens...only the BIGGEST weeds though.
- Navigate Michael to the weed whacker
- Stitch a star on a special CQ block
- Finish CQing the little Angel heart block
- Plan my attack on Thearica's Grandfather tribute block. I think I am seeing some verbiage for sure
- Find an image to present to my art quilt group for consideration on a split quilt project.
- Try out the glitzer tool my friend Melanie gave me! Cool tool...attaches little crystals to fabric. Endless possibilities~thanks Mel!
- Try discharging on black velvet
Notice not too much housework? The older I get the more I feel free to spend non-work-my-arse-off time doing the things that make me happy. The upside of each passing day!
Today I learned:
- My newest boss is 22. His 1st day with my company was 3 weeks ago. Seems like a nice young Pennsylvanian.
- Michael Jackson's death will make the Jackson clan rich & infamous.
- Received my Passport Card, good for land only travel outside U.S. $35 and 4 weeks later. I am Canada-ready now.
Sunday, July 5, 2009
I have been doing alot of CQ stitching. I have 5 projects that need my attention. This flower is made from dyed wired ribbon that I form into a circular shape and then tack down repeatedly. I used some matte multi-colored blue beads I bought in N.H. Adding pistol stitches and random french knots to center gives one more dimension.
When working on my CQ's I like to have more than 1 or 2 different stitches to a seam treatment or motif. I think it makes a big difference in the finished product. Looks like you know what your doing!
I have been working on the little heart for a local charity...no picture yet!
Today I learned:
- I carved a bunch of soft erasers this morning. I haven't tested them yet though but it was fun! I have a piece of lino that I am waiting for inspiration to hit before I dig in to it!
- I tea/coffee dyed some bits of fabric. Wool felt, old linen napkin & unknown fiber. I love all of them! There is something about that vintage look that spells comfort for me. When Priscilla Kibbee was here she mentioned using loose tea leaves and layering them between fabric layers. I would assume the fabric would have to be wet to begin with. I will be using these bits on a project my friend Colleen & I are doing.
Friday, July 3, 2009
- The NO STANDING sign on the side of a road doesn't mean HE can't stand there....it means a CAR can't STAND there! WOW. This is a boy that makes the Dean's list. That was worth a 5 minute laugh, tears and stomach muscles fully involved!!