Wednesday, April 29, 2009
I did this last year and now a woman in Lincoln, Nebraska has an original collage made by me!
Check out page 19 to see my contribution. I cajoled my friend Elaine to make one too...you can see hers on page 33.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Thearica was only one of the many wonderful people. She showed us a quilt she won that Sharon Schamber made. WOW...I wish you could see it in person because the pics don't give it justice. It is a MASTERPIECE. The machine quilting, the painting..the work SHARON put into this is truly unbelievable....Thearica said there were over 600 hours logged on it. When she showed this piece I actually had goosebumps......you could FEEL all the time and effort that was put into it. The machine quilting is dense and the motifs are small. Thearica is very LUCKY to have this special ANGEL watching over her!
- Thearica is pronounced Ther-isa.
- How to make a folded rose using ordinary satin ribbon;a ribbon coreopsis and a taffeta pansy from a talented Crazy Quilter~TAMI. Very COOL!
- I like the concept of a Blackberry and ALMOST want one. If I wait long enough I can have my daughter's when she replaces it with more current technology. PATIENCE.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Right next door to Keepsake Quilting is PATTERNWORKS store. (Jody, me & Shirl). There was also a bead store & Needlearts store in town.
I would love to know how much $$ all these woman spent that day! I have knowledge of at least one woman that spent $500 at Keepsake alone and had it all shipped home!!! We can't deny our part in stimulating the economy this past weekend for sure.
Today I learned:
- Swine Flu is epidemic, or so says all news channels...I seem to remember a Swine Flu in the 70's..?
- My daughter CAN take good care of home & animals. 1 Dean, 1 Chester & 1 Clifford all good and no signs of starvation...no broken molding on any doors, no sink full of dirty dishes. All went well in my absence. Thanks!
- I paid 2.06 for gas in New Hampshire this morning and 2.18 for gas at home this evening. Sucks for us.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
I plan to take my laptop since I have many ????? for a few of my PC SAVVY friends. I need pointers on this blogging thing!
I will try to post pictures over the weekend.
Wait til you see the Pajama Queen contest!
Monday, April 20, 2009
My list of projects & class prep
- FQ challenge...provided by committee
- T-shirt that will be like a name tag...to represent your state.
- mini quilt layer for learning some machine quilting techniques
- Miranda bag supplies
- Needles & floss to learn STUMPWORK
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
I added the eyelets and black cording for a cool corset-like closure. In my attempt to fulfill my gaol to publish something I am sending this off to be considered for Belle Armoire magazine. If you scroll down on this page-Calls & Challenges
This is my rendition of a JELLYFISH! I used tulle and beads and white pearlescent floss. I like it. I hope Carolyn does too.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last night I met with my ART QUILT group and one of the girls had us do an exercise using black strips and a white background. The top left and bottom right block were using straight pieces of black that could only be arranged perpendicular to the edges......the top right one was using only straight strips on a diagonal. Bottom left was curvy and I chose perpendicular. I REALLY like the curvy one and want to use the idea...maybe for an art quilt! It was really fun to work within the parameters. Sometimes starting is the stumbling block. I seem to need an assignment or at least a topic to channel my creative energy otherwise my mind is all over!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I watched Walk the Line last night. I liked it. It made me want to read about June Carter actually. Also inspires me to listen to old Johnny Cash.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
SNOW. April 7th. Spring.
Today I mailed off my first piece for consideration for publication in a magazine. I have had this on my list for years and am determined this year it will happen. I actually don't have a good picture of it. It is a 12"x12" shadowbox framed wool/needle felted snowman/moon/nest thing I called "SNOWBIRD" The snowman has wings....again the fascination on WINGS. Not sure how this works....YES we will or NO we can't. Time will tell. I will keep trying though!
Today I Learned
- We did an exercise in design & composition at my ART Quilt group. Just using linear & curved black scraps on a white background. I liked doing it...a good way to loosen up and just get something done. I will use this process.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Years ago, before I even had kids, I worked on a cute stamped embroidery I bought at a cool old WOOLWORTH's store that of course has been closed for years now in downtown Buffalo. It had a patchwork quilt and little children tucked in, but the most interesting thing on this piece was a teddy bear done entirely in french knots. I remember how satisfying it was to see all that texture. I love them clustered and I love them randomly spaced. They look good as an accent on any stitch combination and they can stand on their own.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
I came across this in my STUFF. My son Michael goes to college an hour away and for his birthday freshman year I made this fabric postcard and mailed it to him so he would get mail on his birthday! I used recycled felted sweater wool for the base and needle-felted the little cupcake with candle and #'s and letters. You can't really tell in the picture but there is the non-fusible Angelina fibers on the cupcake. Needle-felting is like painting with roving & wool yarns. FUN. But you must pay attention every second or you WILL poke that gnarly barbed needle into your finger....and it hurts...for days.
I have been working on Carolyn's Mermaid CQ block. I stitched the outline for waves to seperate the sea & sky. Thinking of how to fill it now. Crests on waves are more white than blue. I could bead it or use a combination of french knots & split stitch or all three. I also added a full MOON. I have this great vintage coat from Sally Anne's. I washed it and it didn't really felt so not sure what fiber it is, but it's cool. I beaded a bit over it to add a little sparkle in the sky.
Also finished working on Thearica's pig CQ RR block. I can't show you a picture of it since it is a SECRET until they are all returned to the originator.
Projects for this weekend & near future:
- Mermaid ~waves~
- Eyelets & tie closure on cuff
- COF FQ challenge (????????)
- COF T-shirt "name" tag
- baby quilt with birth info for Aliegh (actually have a pieced pink string block quilt I can use)
- April Journal page
- Carve a stamp
- Son's football jersey quilt
- Knit more sweater
Today I learned:
- My un-beloved Jeep Liberty needs brakes all around. Ugh.
- I better learn to love wearing my orange hardhat and highly reflective vest...required DOT road wear. Ugh.
- My tooth aches. 6 Motrins and counting today.